Brussels sprouts, how to cook them: recipes to better enjoy Brussels sprouts and info on properties and nutritional values.
How to cook Brussels sprouts? Baked, boiled, in soups, sautéed ... the choices are really many. In this firstrecipewe will see how to prepare thebaked Brussels sprouts. We will propose onevegetarian recipebut with the appropriate modifications it can becomeVegan.
Brussels sprouts, how to cook them in the oven
Here are the ingredients:
- 160 g of Brussels sprouts
- 5 walnuts
- 80 grams of mozzarella
- 40 ml of cream
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
In the versionVeganyou can replace mozzarella with stringy vegan cheese like Sheese blue and instead of the classic cream, you can use soy cream.
Here is the procedure for cooking Brussels sprouts.
- Wash the sprouts and cut them in half.
- Boil the Brussels sprouts by putting them in boiling salted water. Cooking times are generally 8 - 10 minutes. Monitor cooking.
- Shell the walnuts and cut the mozzarella into pieces.
- Grease an oven cocote. Arrange inside iboiled sprouts. If necessary, season with salt and pepper.
- Add the mozzarella and cream.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160 ° C for 10 minutes and activate the grill function for a further 5 minutes.
This is onelight recipeyou can also appreciate it at dinner.
Brussels sprouts in a pan
Also in this recipe, you will first have to get someboiled sprouts. Then:
- Wash and cut the sprouts.
- Boil some water. Add salt and brussels sprouts. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
THEBrussels sprouts I readthey must becookedbut notsoggy. When you remove them from the water, they must still be intact.
Forcooking Brussels sprouts in a pan, after boiling them, drain them and let them dry on a kitchen towel.
Here are the ingredients to prepare thestir-fried sprouts.
- 1 sweet white onion
- 700 g Brussels sprouts
- Pepper as needed.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Bacon or bacon (optional)
As is clear, this recipe can also be served both in versionvegetarian / veganand in the "carnivorous" version. The bacon or bacon is cut into cubes and sautéed together with the onion. Let's see how to do it.
- Prepare the boiled Brussels sprouts as explained.
- Finely chop the white onion and fry it.
- When the onion has become semi-transparent, add the boiled Brussels sprouts.
- Cook for 5 minutes, adjust (if necessary) with salt and add a grind of pepper.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve hot.
Velvety and omelette with Brussels sprouts
If you are looking for other ways to cook them, know that once they are cooked, like any other vegetable, they can be used to prepare soups (using a baby or a kitchen mixer) or omelettes.
Brussels sprouts, properties and nutritional values
THEBrussels sproutsthey bring a large number of benefits to the body. They improve the functionality of the gastro-intestinal tract and provide a large number of essential micronutrients for the body.
Let's start with the calories: 100 grams of sprouts provide 43 kcal. THEsproutsthey provide a fair content of Vitamin A, beta-carotene, B vitamins (including vitamins B6, B9, B5, B2, B1 and B3). Provides a high amount of Vitamin C and Vitamin K and a fair amount of Vitamin E.
As for mineral salts, molesBrussels sproutsthere is no shortage: calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, zinc and sodium. With 100 grams of product you take 8.95 g of carbohydrates, 3.48 g of protein and only 0.3 g of fat.
Like all vegetables, even Brussels sprouts are mainly composed of water which covers 86% of the weight.
How to grow Brussels sprouts in pots
Brussels sprouts can also be grown in pots, at home or in the garden. For the guide with all the instructions on the cultivation of Brussels sprouts we refer to the page:how to grow brussels sprouts