Dysphonia: causes and symptoms. What are the most effective treatments and natural remedies in the treatment of dysphonia.
Dysphonia is a qualitative and / or quantitative alteration of the tone of the voice. To be clear, it is the difficulty in emitting sounds due to a problem affecting the vocal cords, larynx, mouth or tongue.
Generally, this disorder affects certain professional categories: singers, actors, teachers ... those who in practice make excessive use of the voice. Dysphonia should not be underestimated, it is therefore essential to identify the symptoms promptly and be aware of the causes, in order to undertake the most appropriate treatment
Dysphonia can occur for various reasons which are divided into "endogenous" and "exogenous". Among the endogenous causes, we can mention:
- Baby octopus
- Tumor of the larynx
- Excessive gastric reflux
The exogenous causes are:
- Excessive or incorrect use of the voice
- Muscle tension
Excluding the aforementioned factors, the cause may be psychosomatic in nature; stress and anxiety play an important role in dysphonia.
Medical treatment should be planned according to the cause. It is therefore necessary to discover the underlying cause. In general, to prevent and ensure the recovery of the voice, it is essential to avoid the use of alcohol and smoking. The most common medical treatments include:
- Hydration: drink at least 8 glasses of water a day
- Vocal response so as to relax the phonatory system and not tire the voice.
- Phono-rehabilitation therapy to use the voice without straining or irritating the vocal cords.
- If the dysphonia is caused by the presence of polyps, nodules, cysts and tumors, surgery can be chosen. It should be emphasized that in the case of organic dysphonia, a specific diagnosis and therapy must be followed before resorting to any other type of solution.
- If the causes are attributable to infections, it is necessary to resort to taking drugs (antibiotics) and gargle to disinfect the oral cavity.
-In case of psychogenic dysphonia, it is advisable to consult a psychotherapist or psychologist, to understand which psychological problems upstream have triggered the condition.
Dysphonia, natural remedies
Nutrition plays an important role in prevention and treatment. Heavy, seasoned and spicy foods should be avoided, especially in the evening, to avoid gastroesophageal reflux which can facilitate dysphonia. It is preferable to sleep with the head raised (perhaps using two pillows) or to sleep on the left side of the body. In case of esophageal reflux, the use of some antacid drugs may help. In addition to the suggestions just mentioned, we can suggest some really effective natural remedies to treat dysphonia. Take note!
In case of dysphonia, an effective remedy is the use of infusions. Just drink two cups of your favorite infusion every day for at least a month. Afterwards, you can include an infusion in your diet, at least twice a week.
How to proceed
- Pour 250 ml of water into a saucepan and bring to a boil
- Add a teaspoon of your favorite herb and mix
- Let it cool for a few minutes
- Filter the infusion with the help of a colander and if you prefer, sweeten with honey
Among the most effective infusions in the treatment of dysphonia, we mention:
- Ginger, for its anti-inflammatory properties. Furthermore, it is a detoxifier for the body. The ginger-based infusion is not only effective in the treatment of dysphonia but is also indicated against any respiratory disorder.
- Chamomile, for its soothing and antiseptic properties
- Mallow and eucalyptus due to the presence of mucilage, a substance capable of reducing irritation
Gargling is a valuable ally against dysphonia. They have no side effects especially if they are done in a gentle and quiet way. Among the most valid options for treating dysphonia with gargling we have baking soda, salt, honey and lemon. Our recommendation is to gargle 3 times a day for at least 15 days
Another effective remedy is represented by the intake of juices. In this case, natural and freshly made fruit and vegetable juices should be consumed to ensure the effectiveness of the result. Here are the most recommended juices
Pineapple revitalizes the tissues of the vocal cords.
Carrot treats respiratory ailments
Cabbage treats sore throats
In addition to the remedies mentioned above, it is advisable to perform relaxation exercises. But let's see what they consist of
- Raise and lower your head
- Rotate the head from side to side
- Roll your shoulders back and forth
- Move your arms in circular motions
Breathing plays an important role in preventing dysphonia. Just do good diaphragmatic breathing exercises. In this regard, we refer you to reading the article "Diaphragmatic breathing, all the info"